Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Reflection

Last week I read a post on a blog I follow – her name is Jill and she is a tri-athlete starting out in her triathlon endeavours ( very similar to me ) and I enjoy reading her posts.


She has just had her 29th birthday and she really, really loves to celebrate her birthdays and this got me thinking.

I have a birthday coming up very soon and don’t like celebrating my birthdays.

It’s got nothing to do with age and I have no problem with waking up next Sunday and being 44 years old – I am comfortable with this but every year, around this time I’m always thinking the same thing.

People always ask – what do you want for your birthday and I always answer, “nothing” – truth be known, there is only one thing that I want and unfortunately there is no chance that it will never happen.
This will be the 10th birthday without my dad and the 4th without my mum.

10 years ago, in February 1999 I lost my dad and every year, I struggle with this.

One thing he taught me was always live your life to the full and if you want to do something then just go out and do it – the only thing that will stop you is you.

9 years ago, I met the person that, as soon as I met her, I knew I would be spending the rest of my life with. Next year we will celebrate 10 years married. The only downside is that she never got the opportunity to meet him and him to meet her.

I have so many great memories, this is what keeps me going in tough times and come the 24th of July – I’ll just take a moment to myself and have a quiet word with him.

2 comments:

  1. Both of my parents have lost their dads...and while it doesn't compare in any way, I lost my best friend ten years ago. Some days, I have a quiet word with him too. I think remembering your parents is a quiet way of celebrating who you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill - thanks for your kind words and I have to agree.
    We are shaped by those who shape us and as my wifes says to me, she feels she knows my dad as she sees him in me.

    ReplyDelete