Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Friend

A number of weeks ago I was given news that someone I know has been diagnosed with very aggressive breast cancer and one of her breasts had to be removed as it has gotten into the lymph nodes.

This is not good. She has been told that she does not have much time left. She is 38 years old, married with 3 kids under 5.


This was told to me by a mutual friend who knew that I used to work with this woman a number of years ago – we started working in travel at the same time, in the same office. We went our own way after a number of years and I worked for her when I returned to New Zealand after getting married in Canada. We worked together again for about a year and then I moved on to manage my own travel office ( for the same company ) and we went to a number of managers conferences together . After another 2 years I left that company to start my own travel business and as the industry is a small one, we’ve crossed paths over the last 6 years ( she also lives very close and does her shopping in the same shopping centre where my office is now )

Anyway – she has just popped into the office to see me and say hi – she truly looked sad and not the same person that I once knew. We chit chatted about stuff and I could see that she was hurting. I told her that if she needed anything that I was here for her. We hugged, she cried, I nearly did as well.
She wants me to book her final family holiday.

I was very humbled and you cannot imagine how difficult it is to write this.

Sometimes things happen and we don’t understand why, sometimes it doesn’t pay to wonder why either.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this was so sad to read:( I am sorry to hear about your friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. Breast cancer sucks....working in the breast imaging field I see this sort of thing often and it is always hard.

    I think that it is wonderful that she picked you to book her family vacation. She must value you as a friend and think highly of you:) That must make you feel special. Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie,
    Thanks for that - yeah, this really shook me but after I sat and thought about it, I feel very privilaged that she would ask me to do this.

    Really hits home that we need to live for now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that horrible news.... you're right though it is an honor to help her with her last family holiday. Times like that make doing your job a real honor as well. May happier waves be in your future my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks mate - was a tough day for sure!!!!
    Can't wait for winter to be over so I can get back in the water.

    ReplyDelete