Thursday, April 29, 2010

Friday Post - the good old days

We’ve all had them and they say that memories are what we all hold dear to our hearts.


I’ve found a few old photos and I’ve scanned them (please excuse the big white bits on the bottom – haven’t worked out how to sort the work copier/scanner)

I’ll put a little note above each picture of what it is and that particular moment in time.

Enjoy:

This is a surf blog after all so here are a couple of pics from when I was way younger – I don’t have many pics on me surfing but this is probably 20 to 25 years ago. I can tell by the board, it’s a 6’4” Town & Country thruster. I bought this board new – it was my first and I still have it – very fond memories. I have a black and white photo of me with a pack on my back, walking across a pedestrian crossing in Paris with this board under my arm – I love that shot as it’s a moment in time. This one is an action shot of me and my first board.



These pics are around the same time – a bunch of us went “bush” – away on a surf trip and camped by the ocean. The first picture is my mate Andy standing on the rocks looking out at the bay where we camped. The second pic was us arriving at home. My dog was happy to see me and as you can see by the look of us – we were absolutely buggered. There is no such feeling as being exhausted from surfing!!












Baja Mexico – short and sweet. Did a surf trip with Baja Surf Adventures many years ago. I was by myself and just joined in with these guys – they were a bunch of mates from San Fran that do this every year. Good guys.



















Water Polo. I played for New Zealand Schoolboys when I was 17 so when a few years later I was living in Perth, Western Australia, I started playing again. Quickly moved through the ranks and ended up playing A grade in the state league. A very big deal indeed. The World Championships were in Perth in 1990 and a lot of international player stayed on and played in this league. It was tough but great fun.
This photo is of the team with the state championship shield, we won – I am on the right standing and I am 6 foot so you can imagine how big the other guys are? Of the 12 of us in the picture, 10 of the guys were at that time in either the Australian Olympic or Western Australia State team. The guy 4th from the left, back row is Glenn Townsend, the Aussie Goalkeeper at the time he was 6"7" and bloody hard to score any goals against.
It was a great time in my life.

3 comments:

  1. If anyone is wondering, he's still as sexy! In fact we met while he was on a surf trip in Fiji several years ago. Who knew hot sufers make passes at bookworm girls who wear glasses?? The wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures:) How fun to look at...I love taking the trip down memory lane! I always enjoy looking at your pictures!

    I love it...your wife still thinks your sexy!! This is wonderful:) Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julie - thanks for that. I am very lucky in so many ways, she's great!!

    Yep, they are great pictures and the wife (Sonia) said that I should have done a seperate post on each one of them and she may be right - they were all great times.

    ReplyDelete