Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I don’t get depressed but I do get frustrated!!!

I had knee surgery on the 7th of May and I went on my trip to Scandinavia on the 17th of May and had a great time but it’s fair to say that it wasn’t the best recovery and I know that. BUT there was no way that I was going to miss it.

My surgeon said to me after my first visit back to him that I was out of soccer for the season AND if I had half a brain, I’d give it away completely – let’s just say that I’m ok with having the rest of the season off (considering the injury happened in the first game of the season – it’s a long break)

He also said to me that all I was to do, exercise wise, until the end of June was limited swimming and small amounts of cycling on the wind trainer.

I have been doing both as well as strengthening exercises AND today is the 1st of July so I took the afternoon off work and have officially started my “training”


It’s a beautiful winters day, 10 degrees outside, sunshine and no wind so I came home, got my kit on and rode down to the pool, had a nice easy swim (about 700m) and then stretched the legs on the bike. I rode just on 11km averaging 30km/ph and felt really good. I think the many evenings on the wind trainer have really helped. I’m certainly not going to get overly excited but it’s good to finally feel like I’ve actually done something.


Last Sunday I did go for a ride in the forest on my mountain bike for about half an hour – it was raining and crappy outside but I was really getting cabin fever and just needed to blow some dust out of the joints – it was great fun and this is what I looked like when I got back. The wife laughed when I rode up the driveway covered in mud (you needed to see the back view) and you can see the forest in the background behind the roof of the neighbours place. We are about 300m from the forest and about 1km from the beach – such a great part of the city to live in.

4 comments:

  1. Cheers to officially starting training again! I want to get a bike....I will be getting one sooner than planned. I think it will be fun and it will be great for cross training.

    Take care of yourself and don't go all gang busters with your training...remember injury free and healthy is good:)

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!! My surgeon said, "You can't tell active people to stop being active." He's right. So it's unrealistic for your doctor to think you would be able to do little or nothing while your knee heals. I was in the pool so much when I was healing that I refuse to swim in pool now. I'm totally over pools. Still, I'm glad the pool was there for me and I was able to use it to burn off all of that excess energy. You can use your bike as well as the pool. You know your limitations. Just listen to your body and let it guide you. Stay the course. You're fired up to get back to the athletic life you had before. That's a good thing. Just use your best judgment and don't push too hard.

    You're doing so well. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks for stopping by! Post injury is very frustrating...many ups and downs. Looks like you are doing well though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys - thanks heaps for your kind and encouraging words – as the heading says, I’m frustrated at not being able to get stuff done but I’m also aware that I need to take it easy.
    As you say Sis – those with the athletic gene can sometime find it difficult!!!!

    Thanks again to Julie – good luck to you and your “thing” and a special thanks to onelittletrigirl, thanks for stopping by and please call back and check us out again 

    ReplyDelete