Thursday, October 20, 2011

Rugby World Cup 2011




I approach this weekend with trepidation – not really sure why but suffice to say, I was not expecting life to be like it is when the announcement was made 6 years ago for New Zealand to host the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

I remember watching the announcement draw live on TV back in 2005 and I remember jumping up and punching the air when Syd Miller, then IRB Chairman, read out those now famous words – “the host nation for Rugby World Cup 2011 is ………….. New Zealand"

And now, here we are 48 hours out from the Grand Final game between New Zealand and France. Pretty much everyone picked us to be there, almost no one picked France to be there (except my French Canadian wife) and I feel torn on so many levels.

So much has happened since that announcement, so much has happened here in Christchurch. The country is in party mode yet I feel like I’ve been given the invitation, told how great the party will be, bought the outfit and at the 11th hour, had my invitation so cruelly revoked.

I know, these feelings makes no sense at all.

While the rest of the country is partying, we are waiting.

While the rest of the country is partying, we are hoping.


But we will be partying this Sunday night and we will feel good when Richie McCaw lifts the William Webb Ellis trophy aloft – this will be a victory for the All Blacks, for every New Zealander but also for the folks of Canterbury.

After that, we will go back to waiting and hoping while the rest of New Zealand carries on.

No comments:

Post a Comment