Sunday, February 28, 2010

STOKE

What a weekend I have had.

As you may be aware – I have been doing a few Ocean swims over the last few months and the big goal for the summer was to compete in the Sovereign New Zealand Ocean Swim Series (the local event here in Christchurch) as Corsair Bay. As this is my first foray into ocean swimming and as you can see from the picture – I ended up with a Gold Medal – Talk about STOKE!!!!!!!


I finished 4th overall in the 750m swim, out of 148 finishers and the gold medal is for first in my age group (40-49yrs) – the guy that won the race was in the 20-29 age group and the 2nd and 3rd place finishers were both under the age of 15. I am very excited and pleased with my race, my preparation and the day in general. If you’re interested, my time for the 750m swim was 10min 18sec – not a bad result for an “old dog”


I was all set to go for a surf on Sunday morning but the beaches were closed due the threat of a Tsunami as a result of the earthquake in Chile – the local Civil Defence did a great job with the warnings as did the media – in the end the threat was averted BUT you could certainly see the “surges” etc. Not 24 hours earlier, we were taking part in the ocean swim – what do they say about timing huh?

Today is the first day of autumn so goodbye summer, thanks for making a small appearance. Only one more triathlon event for me next weekend and I have to honestly say that I have had a ball doing these and the results I have had thus far just gives me huge motivation to work hard over the winter.

Roll on summer of 2010/2011

3 comments:

  1. Congrats man! Triathlons are on my list to give a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, fourth place for your swim overall is awesome:) Wowzer on the gold medal for your age group!!! I would be stoked too!! I wish I could swim as fast and strong as you...no such luck! Good job and way to rock it!! I am impressed:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey TG - thanks man, appreciate it!!
    I'm really enjoying the "tri’s" that I've done and looking forward to doing a few more. The only downside, I’ve hardly surfed so will have to plan a surf trip overseas soon.

    Hi Julie - thank you for your kind comments too. I used to swim a lot when I was younger so I've always had the technique and over the last 6 months or so, I’ve got back into the competitiveness of it. I’m by no means a gun of any sort but am very pleased with my results.
    Thanks again and feel free to pop back to my blog – I’m just a novice at this too.

    ReplyDelete