Thursday, February 11, 2010

Stoke

Stoke

Firstly I have to say that I have been neglecting this blog for a few weeks and I apologise for that – no excuses, just busy and slack at the same time. Also, this is supposed to be a surf blog but life always seems to get in the way of surf and that pains me to say that!!!


A good friend of mine once said to me (when I first moved to Christchurch a number of years ago) – to be a surfer in Christchurch sucks, especially in Summer. I have to agree with that statement from my mate “old dog”

Stoke comes in many forms and differs for everyone and over the last few weeks I have been getting stoke from lots of different places. My surf stoke has come from reading SurfSis, Whiff, Christian @ BCB and of course Tall Man Surfing – these are fantastic blogs and I love reading them – They are who started me doing this blog and I thank them all.

Sis has been talking about and building a skate ramp and it’s been awesome following along with her progress. Tall Man has been training for the Disney marathon, and completed it, well done mate, big “ups” for that. I read a couple of days ago about his new girlfriend and her first time surfing and the pure “stoke” that she received and I think that she has “caught the bug” – we have all been there and know the feeling well.
This had lead me to stop and think about my first surfing experience many years ago. We were on a school day trip and I was a 3rd former (first year high school) and the older kids had surfboards (the PE teacher surfed so threw a bunch of boards in the bus and had a say where this day trip was going) After the older kids were tired out and resting, I asked one of them if I could try and they said yes – I paddled out and therein started a lifelong passion that will stay with me until the day I depart this earth. That memory gave me “STOKE”

I mentioned above that I’ve been busy over the last few weeks – I’ll give you a super quick rundown that can be elaborated on at a later date.

- Went to Sydney for the ICCA (International Cruise Council of Australasia) awards dinner – our office didn’t win any awards but it was awesome to be involved (small stoke)

- Went to a friend’s wedding in Central Otago (wine country), she looked so happy which made my wife and I remember our wedding – it was an awesome few days and we will keep fond memories (big stoke)



- I have been doing an ocean swim series of races, which I am really enjoying. It also helps the enjoyment to win my age group (40-49 years) but I look at this as an incredible bonus as the main focus on this is to enjoy it, participate and as training for a race at the end of this month – the Sovereign New Zealand Ocean Swim Series and Corsair Bay. This is my first entry into this event so I am going in with the goal of finishing in the top 10 of my age group and maybe I can do better – who knows but I’ll keep you posted. Ocean swimming (HUGE STOKE)


My wife said to me the other day that she was very proud of what I have achieved over the last few months – this is the biggest stoke so far.


I have completed a number of small triathlons and also short ocean swims (500m, 600m, 700m and 1000m races), the wife has been my biggest supporter in everything I do and this has been no different – for that I thank her and again say – she is simply the best !!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy your blog too. The skate ramp is fine. We've had a lot of rain this year so I've not had a chance to skate it much since it was built. I also got a little part-time job that's taking up much of my time. But I will keep you apprised of the thrills and spills associated with my ramp.

    Congratulations on your swimming successes!

    ReplyDelete