Sunday, January 3, 2010

Holiday Surf

I love being on holiday - sleeping late (hah, I wish) afternoon naps and surf. Well one out of three aint bad.

The last few days have seemed to blur into one - the days start out waking up about 6.30 with the sun coming in the window, quick peek outside to see no wind rustling the trees, throw the board into the van and hit the road to check the breaks.

The last 3 days have provided me with really nice early morning sessions and 1 evening session as well. Have managed to get surfs in while there has been little or no wind - it's not until I get out that the wind starts to blow - no complaints here I assure you !!!!

Got a text from a mate a few morning ago to say that they were heading to Waimari for a look - cool I thought, so headed out to meet them there - it was crap, said we'd have a look tomorrow as a swell was forcast overnight.

Sure enough, a nice swell arrived and we met it head on (at Sumner) for an early morning session - the 3 of us were the first out and as the tide dropped, the size increased. It ended up being a really nice session - good mates, warm water, sunhine and heaps of waves had by all. Replay the same for the next few mornings and thats whas been going on. So tired I think my arms are about to fall off.

One evening I was sitting outside throwing a tennis ball that is one of our dogs favorite toy (could chase that damn ball all day if I could throw it all day I'm sure!!) and the norwest wind just stopped blowing. It went dead calm - it was about 7.30pm so I quickly threw my stuff in the van and hit the pier - fan bloody tastic - spent about 2 hours picking off the "rights" off the pier. Probably the best surf of the season thus far. Had to come in as it was starting to get dark.

Back to work tomorrow but I'm sure that I'll ease my way into it for sure!!!

2 comments: