Sunday, December 20, 2009

Natural High

Natural High

Yesterday I completed my 4th triathlon but this one was the one that I have had my main goal of completing, the Xmas Cracker Canterbury Tri Club event – take a step backwards for a moment.

I was suggested by a friend that I should try the “Blokes Triathlon Series” – a series of 3 events that are targeted at introducing “blokes” to the sport. They were 1 month apart (October, November and December) and increased in length. Event 1 was 100m pool swim, 10km bike and 3km run, event 2 was 200m pool swim, 15km bike and 4km run, event 3 was 250m pool swim, 20km bike and 5km run.

I did the first 2 events as an individual and really enjoyed them. As I am in the early stages of triathlons I didn’t want to do the entire event 3 and then do the Xmas Cracker one the week later – I didn’t think my fitness was up to it. I was going to do the pool swim (250m) and had organised a couple of friends to do the bike and the run BUT I was let down by my runner SO I did the 5 km run as well.


Jump forward to yesterday – the Xmas Cracker tri is a 400m ocean swim, 15km bike and a 4km run. I have been watching the weather daily and it looked like it would be a rough day so with my “ocean experience” I was pretty confident that I would be ok in the swim. Woke up early and the day was beautiful, not too warm to start out.

Surfsis asked about my bike – ITS AWESOME!!!!!!


It makes so much difference when you have a nice bike. It’s by no means top of the range but for me, it’s fine for right now. One thing I do need to do is work on my transitions – I’m slow BUT that said, I’m not doing these to win (not yet anyway!!)
The run was a circuit along the esplanade and as the tide went out the surf picked up – can you imagine how frustrated I was running along on the concrete looking at the surf – for a surfer this has to be the worst thing!!

Still waiting on the official results but I finished and was pretty happy with the day. I think that my age group (veteran men, 40-49) was the largest and some of these guys are so fit and quick

No comments:

Post a Comment