Thursday, July 14, 2011

Facebook

This is something that I thought was a waste of time and effort – and what would a 45 year old want with this sort of thing??

I have a young person who works for me, she is 22 years old and she is probably one of the nicest “Generation Y” people I know.

Anyway, off the point of the post – she said to me on many occasions that I should try this Facebook thing as it was a heap of fun and she said that she’d be my “friend” – I caved and joined the on-line community. I have not looked back.

I am not one of these people that accepts friend requests from people that I do not actually know just to try and have many “friends” – the “friends” I have on Facebook are actually “my friends” – some I have not seen in a number of years, some live on the other side of the world and some live next door to me. I even have a page for our business with many people “liking” our business.

I have an old flat mate who is now married, with a new baby living in Vancouver. I have a friend who is living and playing music in New York. I have a friend I met while on tour in Norway last year. I have a friend who lives in Wellington who I used to surf with 25 years ago. I have a friend who is lives in Colorado who I used to work with when I lived in Queenstown. I have friends who live on the Gold Coast in Australia and I will be catching up with them next month for a few beers and a good old chin-wag. I have friends who live in the same city and we share an interest in sport. I have more friends with a personal tale to tell, whose company I very much enjoy.

My sister is my friend.

My wife is my friend.

I am indeed blessed with many friends both in real life and on Facebook.
Yes, I am a fan and I enjoy keeping in touch with my friends.

1 comment:

  1. I was pulled into Facebook kicking and screaming. I thought I was too old and too good for Facebook. Wrong. I do find it irritating at times, but it's become a useful way to stay in touch with some people and a good way to find others.

    I, too, have to admit that I actually like it.

    ReplyDelete