Sunday, September 4, 2011

Absolute Legend

It's not every day that you get the opportunity to meet and chat with an absolute legend of the sport - what would you ask?
Hamish Carter and me

I've been interested in triathlon for a long time BUT it's only been the last 2 years (this will be my second season) that I have actually been competing - I love it, it's great fun.

I joined the Canterbury Triathlon Club because I really didn't know much about it - I came from a swimming background and have never been a runner but I was keen as anything.

On Saturday night I went to the annual Canterbury Tri Club dinner and awards, I've met so many great people through tri and it was a fantastic evening out (I went last year as well but only knew 2 people)
I got the biggest surprise when I was awarded with "Novice of the Year" - considering I didn't even know that I had been nominated. I'm 45 years old and not too old to be a novice - very cool indeed!!!

The guest at this year’s awards was a true legend in the sport of Triathlon - Hamish Carter, Gold medallist in the triathlon at the 2004 Olympics in Athens. He gave a wonderful speech and we all had an opportunity for a Q and A session which was very entertaining and then after the dinner and awards, we all got a chance to chat with him - what an amazing guy and very giving of his time.

He told us of his disappointment in the Olympics in Sydney 4 years prior to Athens where his full intention was to win the Gold medal - in his own words, he had a "shocker" race that day BUT it made him come back stronger and more prepared for Athens.

I went to the pool the next morning and “smashed out” 2 km’s at pace – felling really good about things after the pep talk from a champion.

No comments:

Post a Comment